Wearable Device Challenge – Teacher Resources
The ASSIST Center wants to help teachers easily implement the Wearable Device Challenge across the state of North Carolina, while providing an incredible learning opportunity for students!
In order to help teachers administer these projects the ASSIST Center has created a device library. If your school is participating in the Wearable Device Challenge and you need devices and/or materials for your students to use you can rent them through our website. Please fill out the form below.
Instead of having to create lessons to start this challenge in your own classroom, we have designed lessons based around the North Carolina standards for curriculum in both high school and middle school. There are five categories that students need to be familiarized with to complete the competition. These categories are:
- “The One Health Concept” ,
- “The Engineering Design Process”,
- “Platforms and Programming, and
- “Energy Harvesting”.
Within each of these categories you can select your desired discipline and content area for a corresponding lesson. Please select the ‘Lesson Plans’ tab and the corresponding subject area.
The ASSIST Center is privileged to offer paid research experiences for middle and high school teachers each summer for 5 weeks in June & July.
Participants will gain experience under the guidance of an established research group by investigating a topic from a broad spectrum of science and engineering disciplines. Teachers will learn about cutting edge techniques and tools used in nanoscale science and engineering, conduct a research study, and design curricular materials to use in their classroom. Participants will have special seminars and field trips to area businesses and industries that use nanoscale science and engineering.
Join us for an interesting summer learning about advances in research, getting involved in your own study, and thinking about new ways to teach science and engineering!
Deadline – March 10, 2017
- To Download Arduino Environment: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
- To Get Started with LilyPad https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/LilyPadWindows#toc2
- One Health http://www.onehealthinitiative.com/
- Ti SensorTag http://www.ti.com/ww/en/wireless_connectivity/sensortag2015/gettingStarted.html
- Energy Harvesting Forum http://www.energyharvesting.net/
- Engineering Lesson Plan Ideas https://www.teachengineering.org
- Arduino Parts http://www.exploringarduino.com/parts/